Monday, June 7, 2010

Camping with the boys

The view from the dock at our campsite

My two buddies, Rio (left) and Hahlen (right).
To start off the weekend, I sat in on an ALFA meeting on Friday night. Many of the longline fisherman were out fishing (go figure), so the turn-out was small, but it was really interesting to hear the discussion around the sperm whale depredation issue and the other important issues in longlining. The North Pacific Fisheries Council comes to town Wednesday, so I will really be an expert on these issues by the end of the week. After the meeting Linda took me to her sister's house for a cook-out where we barbecued some of the cod collars that I had help cut the day before. They were really good!!
On Saturday, I went with Linda's sons (pictured above) to a big camp-out that their school was hosting. They're funny kids; it's nice how they've kind of adopted me as a big sister. We went out to this remote island and kayaked and hiked and sat by the fire. I met a lot of new people at the event on Friday and the camp-out Saturday; I like building the network of people that I know here. I will be nice to know some people around town when Linda and the fam leave me to go fishing pretty soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Annie - I have been in Uganda with Sam and we have not had great connectivity - so I am just seeing most of this - WOW! That's all I can say. What an experience. You sound like you are falling in love with Sitka. I guess if you can prepare and eat cod collars, you are a native! much love to you. K

    ReplyDelete