Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A little Sitka background

The Stika Harbor



The weather ended up being great today! I had today to just adjust and I took the time to walk to down town Sitka. A cruise ship had just come in as you can see from the pictures above, so the town was flooded with tourists. The main streets of Sitka are filled with gift shops that cater to the hundreds of tourists that come through each day. I joined these tourists in taking pictures of the Cathedral of St. Michael, a Russian Orthodox Church at the heart of town that was built in 1848 as part of an attempt to Christianize the native population. A bishop of the Russian Orthodox Church lived on the island until Alaska was bought by the US in 1867.
Cruise ships are frequent visitors to the island, and I was informed that the ship I saw today was a small one, apparently at times there are as many as three parked in the bay at one time. One good thing is that Sitka does not have a dock to accommodate these boats and they must anchor further out and ferry people in on smaller boats. It was great to learn more about the history of Sitka and see the harbor where Linda's boat is docked.
Tomorrow I'm meeting with the women who run the whale research and I'll hopefully start working soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment